Philosophers of the Arabs
Isma'eel Mazhar (1891-1962), one of the leaders of
contemporary scientific renaissance in
Isma'eel Mazhar was born in a wealthy family received his studies in
On 1927 he issued a magazine called "The generations" (Al'Osour in Arabic) which was devoted to promote intellectual live and culture in science, politics and literature. The magazine has exhibited a wide attention in the intellectual arena in which many well known intellectuals has been writing. However, His magazine has been closed on 1931 due to the worldwide economic crisis at that time, hence, he continued his intellectual life translating and advocating the social reform.
Isma'eel Mazhar has been affected by the thoughts of Salama Mousa especially after
reading his book about
· Renovation of Arabic language in order to be sufficient for sciences and arts.
· Between science and religion: the history of their contend in middle ages about the sciences of astronomy, geography and creation.
· In literature and life.
· The story of the overflow in three ancient civilizations.
· The history of Arabic thought.
· A treatise in free thought.
· The philosophy of pleasure and pain.